Volunteers Newham6th February 2023 2023-02-06 19:39
Volunteer roles in Newham (Feb – April 2023)
Join our Music-Heritage Project and help bring history to life in Newham!
We are seeking volunteers for a new project exploring the history of Bentley’s nightclub in Canning Town, 1982-1987.
Funded by Newham Heritage Month, this project will delve into the soul, funk, and rare groove music scene at Bentley’s, where legendary DJs including Derek Boland, Linden C, Neil Charles and Paul ‘Trouble’ Anderson played. Although the history of Bentley’s is not well documented, it is a rich and important part of Newham’s social history.
As a volunteer, you will play a critical role in the success of the project. You will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in conducting oral history interviews, internet and archive research, digital marketing, and event assistance. An interest or experience in music history is a bonus, but not a requirement.
The project will run from February to June 2023, with a commitment of 7-15 hours per month. We are seeking up to 10 volunteers who are able to commit to the project timescales.
- Oral history interviews
- Transcribing oral histories
- Internet and archive research
Training in oral history techniques and equipment will be provided by Rendezvous Projects to Oral History Society standards. All volunteers should have good written English, computer literacy, and be able to travel in East London. Specific skills and experience for each role are outlined below:
1. Oral history interviews:
- Patient and interested in people
- Good listening skills with attention to detail
- Confident in guiding an interview
- Flexible with time to fit around interviewees’ schedules
2. Transcribing oral histories:
- Good written English
- Fast typing speed
- Access to a home computer
3. Internet and archive research:
- Curious and interested in research
- Knowledge of or interest in music and local history
- Confident in searching for information online
- Good written English and computer literacy
- Access to a home computer and the internet
For more information
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07939125881.
Newham Heritage Month, generously funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund and Royal Docks Team, is organised by Newham Council as part of Newham Unlocked. The festival will take place in June, featuring events that respond to the theme 'Our Creative Newham: Newham’s Arts and Cultural Heritage.